Travelling to Cat-city (Day 1) : Nanga Damai, Santubong

by - 12:09 PM

When I think of Sarawak, I think of it's mix culture, kuih lapis, and laksa Sarawak. Oh and definitely midin. Midin's my top favorite.

Little did I know that there's more than that to Sarawak.

The museums, cat statues, the untouched nature, gula apong ice cream, mee kolok, beautiful mosques, the toll-free streets, the friendliness even those with full-on tattoo (I mean tbh yes, I'm always scared of people with big inks all over their skin, I just have the feeling that they're bad people. Sorry) etc.

Who would have thought, I fell in love with Sarawak unlike what (almost) everyone has been telling me "there's nothing much in Sarawak. You'll get bored of it pretty much soon."

Barely made it!
We barely made it for our 940am flight that Saturday morning. My friend, Mun accidentally overslept - what supposed to be a 7am pick-up was dragged to 8.15am, which led us to only arrive at the airport at almost 9 in the morning. Dropped our luggage at the counter and rushed straight towards the boarding gate (5minutes in, we were already being called to board). But still, sempat lah juga duduk kedai kopi opposite boarding gate tu for a shared cup of coffee and sandwiches. Suka hati.

Yes, squeezed in minutes for quick coffee and sandwich before boarding.
We were lucky that once we arrived in Kuching, we found out that there was Regatta being held in town. Not that we're a big fan of it, but we would not want to miss experiencing it either.

My first mee kolok. It was ok I guess. Not to my interest.
It was a scorching hot afternoon in Kuching. We stopped over at Kampung Gersik to have lunch whilst enjoying the dragon boat race. We also went to Mira Cake House for kek lapis and I was surprised to see the variety of layer cakes they have, like ati parek and even kek lapis belacan!

I'm not a big fan of layer cakes or even fruit cakes to begin with so I only tasted a few and did not buy any to bring home unlike Mun who immediately bought I don't know, 3 types of cakes?

It was then time to leave for Santubong. Yes, our main destination here in Sarawak is actually to escape the hustling city towards the nature in Santubong. And I kid you not, it was the best decision ever! Santubong is definitely a gem, a good change of environment to be in every once in a while.

Santubong - such a beauty!
We checked into Nanga Damai Homestay in Santubong located just minutes away from Damai beach. The room we stayed in was like a small cottage, with a small balcony overlooking the stream coming direct from the mountain. A perfect two-nights stay to be close to nature!

Nanga Damai Homestay

The stream next to our room
More on Santubong in the next post!

You May Also Like

0 comments