Toddlers get cradle cap too!

by - 1:34 PM

My second born - Sofia has some funky looking scales on the top of her head ever since she came out of me. Cradle cap it was, and still having it now at almost 2 years of age.

It never really went away since then. I thought it was partly due to her minor eczema when she was an infant, where she suffered burnt-like rashes and dry-peeling skin over her cheeks and chin (which I then initially assumed it was just milk rash). Eczema could possible be one of the cause and some says it could be a fungal condition related to dairy intolerance. I've mentioned it to the doctor a number of times, but she didn't seem to be worried and asked me to not bother about it too much. Apparently, toddlers with cradle cap is normal. 0_o

The top part of her head kind of look a little like this - dry flaky scalp
Source : Google / Snotty-noses
Toddler cradle cap is a type of seborrhoeic dermatitis where the sebaceous glands in the skin makes greasy substance called as sebum, which helps make the skin waterproof. Kind of like wax spread on over shoes to make it waterproof (I watched this on Nifty Craft).

But the overproduced sebum traps the skin that constantly flakes. This is why it tends to look scaly. It looks similar to crusting patches of dry and flaky dandruff.

It usually goes away on its own over time although I am not sure when will it finally be gone from (only) the top part of her head. For the time being the measures I take in treating her flaky scalp is by  gaping her hairwash to  every 3 days, and making sure there's no shampoo residue left on her after each wash. I sometimes do gently peel off the flakes while stroking her to sleep. Itchy hands, excuse me.

Those having prolong cradle cap may go on to have other rashes such as eczema, and even dandruff because the sebaceous glands makes more sebum than is needed. There's no exact treatment to it I guess, because one can only remove the scaly flakes, but is not able to control to stop the glands from making excessive oil.

Or maybe a good diet may help?
I am going to google more on it and bring up the matter on my next visit to the doctor.

You May Also Like

0 comments