Travelling to Cat-city (Day 3 & 4) : Kuching, Sarawak

by - 5:19 PM

Since the host of our homestay is heading to town that morning, he offered to drop us off at our next hotel instead of us getting our own Uber ride. We agreed and immediately pushed off to Kuching town right after breakfast.

Right by the riverside
The cat statue located just outside Grand Margherita hotel
It was still early for check-in so we figured we should just dropped off our luggage at the lobby of Grand Margherita hotel and walk over to DP Gula Apong ice cream shop. Unfirtunately we were told by the shopkeeper next door that the shop does not operate on alternate Mondays and so happen that we came on that particular Monday. We proceed to walk a little more towards Chong Choon cafe for Sarawak Laksa eventhough we've just had our breakfast. No ice cream, no problem. Sarawak Laksa -not to be missed delicacy ey so why not?
Sarawak Laksa at Chong Choon's cafe as recommended by the hotel's receptionist.
Just to kill off some morning time we decided to visit the Chinese Museum next since it's just a short walking distance from the hotel. I'm not one who's particularly interested in museums, in history or that sort so it was just a quick in and out for me. Boleh lah dari tak visit langsung kan. Good that it's free entry. It started drizzling when we were done with the museum anyway so we went back to the hotel to finally check in to our room.
Super-quick tour of the Chinese Museum
Cool decor in the Feast & Furious cafe
We walked again to DP ice cream that afternoon just to try our luck in case if it decides to operate a little later in the day but to no avail. *chuckles* Feast & Furious cafe was just right opposite and a cup of hot tea in the drizzling weather seemed like a good idea so I ordered that whilst the girls had their fair share of food and drinks before they had to make a move to Borneo Convention Centre Kuching for their registration to attend WiEF conference happening on the next following days.

Yes, that was Mun's initial agenda in Kuching. I'm just here to join her for a short trip to explore nature in Santubong since both of us have never been to Sarawak prior to this trip. Menyebok je saya ni for a short break from my mommy responsibilities.

I decided not to follow them there and instead went for a jog along the riverside. Merely around 2km I think, to and fro hotel to the Golden S Bridge. Managed to only do a round of jog since it started to drizzle once again so I went up to the room and continued on with a little bit of yoga.

I had the opportunity to meet some of Mun's friends who are in town to attend the conference and decided to have dinner together. We had a table full of seafood over at TopSpot which happens to be the talk of the town for the best seafood in Kuching. It was good and reasonably priced too. But frankly, I prefer the seafood we had the previous night over in Kampung Buntal in Santubong compared to the one in TopSpot; Mun thought the same too. So yes, if you happen to be in Kuching please do consider to take a short drive to have your seafood dinner in Kg Buntal. You definitely won't regret it.
Dinner at TopSpot seafood on Level 6, UTC Kuching premise.
A little fact that I obtained from one of the girls who now resides in Kuching: there's no Gardenia breads in Kuching, and chillies in Kuching are bland in taste. She normally brings back a whole lot of Gardenia breads and cili padi whenever she goes back to Peninsular - Shah Alam to Kuching. No wonder I couldn't find a single loaf of bread in Damai Central's 7Eleven.

I managed to catch a  quick breakfast with some of the ladies on the very next morning before they went off to the conference. They left, but I continued on with my breakfast buffet and was joined by a couple of them who decided to go to the conference a little later.

I then went up to the room to packed my bags, and decided to once again walk up to the ice cream shop. Woohoo finally it opens! Rezeki dapat juga merasa. I had two servings, mind you. To me, it tasted kind of like horlick-y and cendol-y..LOL..but yes, it tasted good!
The famous Gula Apong Ice Cream. Heard that they've opened a branch somewhere in KL now.
So that was basically my trip to Kuching. To those who told me that "you'll easily get bored of Kuching, there's nothing much to be done there" I am objecting to your statement, I love Kuching and whatever it offers, especially Santubong! Santubong is just love! Love terox!

I can definitely see myself visiting Kuching again in the future, in shaa Allah I will revisit.

You May Also Like

0 comments