Kids and technology

by - 11:04 AM

My girls are (considered at their age)pros using iPad and iPhones. The laptop, even.

Some say gadgets should be prohibited to kids. I say, gadgets are fine (with monitoring).
They say it limits the child's sensory play and can even lead to speech delay, eyes being glued on to the screen. But I find that it helps with my daughter's vocabulary and communication. Expressive imagination gone to the next level too.

It's an advance, technology era. I can't stop them from being in the loop, they need to be aware of these advancement after all or suffer from being in the L town who knows little if not nothing about the use of technology, the internet precisely.

All I have to be strict on is time limitation, and of course constant filtering.
You don't entirely leave the gadgets to them without filtering stuff, it is  a world wide web and the source is limitless. You do your part, and they'll be using it fine inshaa Allah.

Mayesa used to hog the gadget almost every afternoon, watching video after video on YouTube. My fault, really, for letting her sit quietly to avoid interrupting me doing chores and handling her then newborn sister. I've now limit her usage to only a short session or two per day, and she's doing just fine really. She's still all active and sometimes with an extensive usage of super vocabs. I myself am amazed, I don't even use those words in my daily communication.

Sofia too. Yes, she uses the iPad too, for YouTube. She now communicates mostly in English, surprise surprise. So I don't really see the wrong in letting the kids use the gadgets, if you monitor them to use it right.

And Mayesa has proposed to have a YouTube channel, just to document her daily vlog with her sister. Something similar to her favorites - Kaycee, and Ryan. 0_o Oh my.


So relatively, this happened (not so)recently: little did I know that  she had actually been eyeing to get a headphone for quite some time. She did once told me that her cousin has one, but she didn't say that she'd like to get it herself. She's only turning 5, I mean, why would she even need one of those?

It totally caught me by surprise that that one particular day I brought her over to the mall, we went into Smiggle for no exact reason - that she picked up a set of headphone. Of all pretty trinkets a little girl would want in Smiggle, she chose a headphone and went "Mama, can I have this? It's five eight."

She knows the numbers but she didn't really get what it meant, the price.

It was on sale, a half price cut.

I don't even know what got into me : maybe the shock that she picked out something out of ordinary - other than toys or any pretty little girly things, and of course for the fact that it was on sale, and also her wishful expression (see picture below); I bought her the headphone.

So yeah, kids and gadgets(technology)?
I'm totally cool with it.

You May Also Like

0 comments